What’s one thing that almost everyone loves to give but not many like to receive? ADVICE! Some advice is good, and others, well, not so much. Even as far back as the fifth century BC, playwright Sophocles noted that “No enemy is worse than bad advice.”
Unfortunately, the ecommerce industry is chock-full of “helpful” information, which can be confusing to an online retailer. So here, we’ll shoot down a few pieces of advice that seem helpful – but really aren’t.
“Online retailers don’t need a blog.”
Marketing experts disagree. A benchmark survey found that 64 percent of ecommerce companies are looking to increase their budget for content marketing. And what better content marketing exists out there than blogging? A retail blog is vital because it helps with SEO rankings, positions brands as an ‘expert,’ and gives the brand a voice that can communicate with customers. Think of your blog as a deep dive into topics important to your business. Then, pair your content marketing with killer social media campaigns to increase traffic to your website.
“If you build it, they will come.”
Launching a website isn’t about having a sweet or catchy domain name. To have an ecommerce site that converts shoppers into buyers – and keeps them coming back – you need to have a lot of different elements. First, employ a site search provider to help customers find what they need. Next, do your research on usability statistics and plan a site layout that works. Finally, load your pages with crisp, optimized product photography and concise content. Put in the time, effort, and money upfront, and your site performance will pay you back in dividends.
“Customers don’t read your site – they’re just there to buy.”
It may be true that your customers only visit your website to buy your product. But, if you want to convert those shoppers into loyal customers, you have to give them more, and it has to be valuable content.
Here’s an example of poor content we helped a client rewrite on their website. To protect our client, we’ve changed the company name and product.
Todd’s Cookies meets all of your cookie-baking needs, whether you like chocolate chip cookies or oatmeal raisin cookies. We also offer a wide array of organic cookies and offer dozens of bake-at-home cookie kits to fulfill your fix. Who doesn’t like cookies? Come on. Everyone wants cookies.”
Not only is that painful to read, but it will hurt your page rank, too. According to Google, filling pages haphazardly with keywords results in a negative user experience and can harm your site’s ranking. So skip the cheap content providers who can crank out 50 pages of content in a week. Instead, focus on quality content, which will get you the rankings – and the customers.
“If you want a thing done well, do it yourself.”
Or, in other words: don’t accept help, or no one will care more about your business than you and therefore won’t do a good job. Unfortunately, many retailers cling so tightly to trying to do everything themselves that they don’t understand how beneficial expert help can be, especially in their operations. Some retailers wait to find help only after their in-house operations have run their customer satisfaction into the ground. It’s too much for any business owner or their team to become experts in every aspect of ecommerce, especially today, with the advancing pace of technology.
Retailers can see tremendous benefits from business process outsourcing (BPO). This is where a trusted partner will take over certain aspects of the business and completely manage those operations.
Some processes that retailers may consider outsourcing:
- Warehousing & Fulfillment. Safely store your product until it’s ready for shipment. Save money on freight charges, too, when your provider pools all their clients’ shipping needs to negotiate excellent rates with the carriers! Make sure to select a partner that offers reverse logistics too.
- Product Personalization and Complex Kitting. Finish the manufacturing process immediately before your product heads out to your customer. Then, with the right partner, your business can increase the number of SKUs and delight your customers with options that allow them to customize your products.
- Customer Service. Get expert help with your customer care function while saving money. An outsourced provider will quickly be able to scale staffing levels to match your changing business needs, plus expand your support availability. Consider adding live chat, email, and artificial intelligence support in addition to your phone support.
- Payment & Fraud Management. As your business grows, management of payment processing, reconciliations, credits, and fraud becomes a heavy burden for a business owner. Consider entrusting this function to your BPO.
- Technology Services. Upgrade your ecommerce software with order management/warehouse management systems customized to your needs. Get expert help with building your ecommerce storefront and integrating with enterprise-grade systems.
- Marketing Services. Transform your digital strategy with expert help in creative and marketing services from ecommerce experts. Amplify your presence with search engine optimization, social media, email marketing, and search engine marketing.
It’s possible to find the right partner who will run your operations just as well as you would or maybe even better! Speed Commerce offers all these services and more! We can pretty much handle anything a retail business owner needs. So let’s connect and learn more about how we can help your ecommerce business thrive!